BASIC SCIENCE PROJECT DESCRIPTION
Treatment Action Group’s Basic Science, Vaccines, and Cure Project (BSVC) works with HIV community members, scientists, and policy makers to enhance public understanding of the science of HIV infection, address gaps in HIV research, critique the research effort, and foster cross-disciplinary collaborations to accelerate research into understanding how HIV causes disease (HIV pathogenesis) and speed the development of effective immune-based therapies, vaccines, and a cure.
BSVC works to:
- support and accelerate research into curing HIV infection
- promote the rigorous evaluation of new immune-based therapeutic approaches, including therapies to reduce immune activation and improve immune reconstitution
- accelerate the development of effective biomedical technologies to prevent HIV infections, including vaccines, microbicides, and preexposure prophylaxis
- communicate and explain new findings in the basic science of HIV to HIV community members and policy makers
- ensure that community priorities help shape research into pathogenesis, immunology, immune-based therapies, and preventive technologies